Saturday, January 3, 2015

RAFT STYLE BONSAI IN THE MAKING

Dear All

Two years ago I was digging up a small very ugly cypress from my parents garden. The trunk had some interesting "damages" to it.  It was left in a regular pot for some time as I did not really know what to do with it. 




Last summer I removed the branch on the right side and decided to try to make into a raft style bonsai. I planted it horizontal and removed the bark in some areas on the main trunk underneath to let new roots grow out. 






I left it alone untill last week where I did the first rough styling. It does not look pretty now but in 10 years from now I am sure it can be a very nice piece. 


inspirational drawing from the web


inspirational drawing from the web


The tree as it looks after the first rough styling - not really a pretty sight :-)

For the next 2-3 years I will let the top grow to add thickness to the trunks. Especially the main trunk needs to be much thicker. 
I am not sure about the final hight but think this Bonsai will be quit tall. 
Next spring I will remove the main rootball if the tree is doing well with the new roots. I might also plant it in a bigger pot to give it some growing space. 

Here are a few more inspirational pictures with the style I will try to aim:





No comments:

Post a Comment